Patients and families served by HCI Hospice Care Services can receive a wide variety of services. These services are covered by Medicare, Medicaid and most private insurance plans. For those who qualify, Medicare Hospice Benefits cover most of the health care costs related to the terminal illness.
Common Questions and Answers
- If I select Medicare Hospice Benefits, do I continue seeing my own physician? Yes. Your doctor continues to be your doctor. He or she approves the plan of care, and the hospice team works with your physician to provide that care. HCI Hospice Care Services’ chief medical officer and hospice team physician offer extra support, if needed.
- If I choose to receive Medicare Hospice Benefits, can I stop hospice care and pursue curative treatment again? Yes. You are not "locked in." You can choose to stop coverage under Medicare Hospice Benefits at any time. If you do, routine care for your illness is covered by regular Medicare benefits as before your hospice care. There is no penalty. You can also re-enroll in the Medicare Hospice Benefits at any time, as long as you are eligible.
- How long can I receive hospice care? You can choose to receive hospice care for as long as you desire and your physician certifies that you are terminally ill.
- If I don’t have Medicare, can I still receive care from HCI Hospice Care Services? Yes, we work with many types of insurance and also serve people who don’t have insurance. Your team social worker can help you review your financial coverage options, such as:
- Private insurance – Most private insurance companies offer coverage for hospice care. Our team will review your plan’s benefits with you.
- Medicaid – For those who qualify, Medicaid is a health insurance program that helps pay for prescription medications, respite care costs and other hospice services related to the terminal illness.
- HCI Foundation – If you don’t have any insurance, our team will work with you to understand your needs and help you enroll in a plan or apply for support through our foundation. HCI Foundation assists families who are financially in need. Ask your social worker for more details.